Think about it for a minute. There’s no FedEx for a quick delivery of replacement parts, so you want the absolute highest reliability and ruggedness in a notebook. So which do you choose? For the International Space Station, NASA selected Hewlett Packard’s ZBook 15 Mobile Workstation.
On April 8 SpaceX delivered (5) HP ZBook 15’s to the ISS aboard their Falcon 9 rocket. Here’s how they perform in space (and on earth):
- Rugged. Not every computer can handle the demands of space. The ZBook 15 went through lots of tests—including getting blasted with radiation—to make sure it could still function optimally onboard the space station. It also withstood a rigorous battery of Military-Standard 810G testing including drop, shock and extreme temperatures, plus 10 years’ worth of radiation exposure.
- Powerful processors. The ZBook uses new 6th generation Intel® Core™ processors.
- Lightweight design. The ZBook 15 weighs in at a svelte 4.18 pounds, which makes rocketing them 240 nautical miles off the planet just a little easier.
- A massive memory. ZBooks can handle up to 1 TB internal memory that lets astronauts save and organize their valuable research.
Curious about how they use them? According to HP and NASA, the notebooks are used for:
- Command and control. The ZBooks will interface with the systems to provide command and telemetry functions which support vehicle control, life support and critical maintenance operations.
- Mission support. The workstations will be used to support more than 500 experiments conducted each year.
- Physical and mental health. HP ZBooks will be used to monitor and support the health of astronauts enduring the rigors of space. This includes everything from retina eye exams to video conferencing and IP Phone calls to support connectivity with family and friends to support mental well-being.
MicroData customers don’t take their notebooks and tablets into space, but they get some pretty tough use. That’s why MicroData recommends HP products and the ZBook series of notebooks is one of our favorites. If you’d like more info about HP products, please contact us.